Top stories this week include sweeping proposed liberalization of lawyer regulation, a watershed Supreme Court victory for open-law advocates, a national COVID-19 pro bono portal born out of a unique collaboration among the ABA and legaltech companies, and the first public statements by Epiq Global’s CEO on its ransomware attack and layoffs. Our guest this week is Mark C. Palmer, chief counsel of the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism.
(hyperlinks available at www.lawnext.com/category/legaltech-week)
Utah regulatory reforms (0:35):
- Utah Proposes Sweeping Regulatory Reforms; Will Fast-Track Pandemic-Related Services.
- Utah Supreme Court.
- Supreme Court Regulatory Reform Proposal-Comment Period Closes July 23, 2020.
Supreme Court opinion (2:51):
- In Key Ruling for Public Access, SCOTUS Says No Copyright In Georgia Code Annotations.
- Georgia v. Public.Resource.Org, Inc.
Pro bono portal (4:04):
- Tech Companies, ABA, Partner to Launch National Pro Bono Portal Targeting COVID-19 and Disaster Relief.
- Disaster Relief Pro Bono Portal.
- ABA YLD Disaster Legal Services Program.
- Legal Services Corporation.
Epiq Global (5:55):
Guest commentary (7:35):