I am a lawyer and legal journalist who has been writing and speaking about legal technology, legal practice and legal ethics for more than two decades. I have been writing this blog since 2002. I also host LawNext, the podcast that features the innovators and entrepreneurs who are driving what’s next in law, and write a column on legal technology for Above the Law.
I am also a lawyer who represents news organizations and serves as executive director of the Massachusetts Newspaper Publishers Association, an organization that advocates for the First Amendment and freedom of the press.
In 2011, I was named to the inaugural Fastcase 50, honoring “the law’s smartest, most courageous innovators, techies, visionaries and leaders.” In 2017, I received the Yankee Quill award for journalism from the Academy of New England Journalists. The same year, I was honored by the ABA Journal as a Legal Rebels Trailblazer.
Earlier in my career, I was editor-in-chief of The National Law Journal and editorial director of ALM’s Litigation Services Division. Before joining ALM, I was with Boston-based Lawyers Weekly Publications, where I was founding editor of the national newspaper Lawyers USA and editor-in-chief of the company’s flagship newspaper, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly. For my work at MLW in service to the legal profession, the Massachusetts Bar Association presented me its 1993 President’s Award.
A 1980 graduate of Boston College Law School, I am a fellow of the College of Law Practice Management and past-president of the Massachusetts Bar Foundation.
In 2018, after 13 years, I signed off as cohost of the award-winning podcast, Lawyer2Lawyer, the longest-running legal podcast, produced by the Legal Talk Network. For 15 years, from 1999 to 2013, I wrote the Web Watch column for Law Technology News (now Legaltech News). In 1994, I founded the first Internet newsletter for lawyers, legal.online.
Awards and Recognition
- 2017 Yankee Quill award for journalism from the Academy of New England Journalists.
- 2017 ABA Journal honor as a Legal Rebels Trailblazer.
- 2011 Fastcase 50.
- 2008 American Society of Business Publication Editors, Silver Award for Contributed Column.
- 2006 Silver Tabbie Award, Best Regular Column, Trade Association Business Publications International.
- 1993 President’s Award, Massachusetts Bar Association.
- Top 30 Legal Tech Blogs and Websites To Follow in 2020.
- 30 Top Legal Blogs to Follow.
- Top 10 Sources for Keeping Up With Legal Tech (Thomson Reuters).
- 10 Blogs Legal Professionals Should be Following in 2018.
- 2012 ABA Journal Inaugural Blawg 100 Hall of Fame.
- 2011 ABA Journal Blawg 100.
- 2010 ABA Journal Blawg 100.
- 2009 ABA Journal Blawg 100.
- 2007 ABA Journal Blawg 100.
- Avvo’s Favorite Legal Blogs of 2009.
- 7 Great Legal Technology Law Blogs.
Legal Blog Watch (co-authored with Carolyn Elefant from 2006 to 2010)
- 2009 ABA Journal Blawg 100.
- 2008 ABA Journal Blawg 100.
- Blawg Review Awards 2006: Blog Journalism.
Lawyer2Lawyer podcast (longest continuously running legal podcast):
- Blawg Review Awards 2005: Best Legal Podcast.
- 2006 Blawggies: Best Legal Podcast.
- 2007 Blawggies: Best Legal Podcast.
- 2008 Blawggies: Best Legal Podcast.
- 2008 ABA Journal Blawg 100, Readers’ Choice Award, Best Legal Podcast.
- 2009 ABA Journal Blawg 100 honoree.
- 2009 Blawggies: Best Legal Podcast.
- 2004 Web Marketing Association, Outstanding Achievement in Web Development, Jaffe Associates website (Robert Ambrogi, copywriting).