Just a few days into 2021 came news that could end up being one of the biggest legal technology stories of the year. On Jan. 5, two leading legal research companies, Casemaker and Fastcase – two companies that have been rivals for as long as they’ve been in business – announced their merger.
The combined company, which will operate under the Fastcase name, has a subscriber base estimated to be more than a million lawyers, or more than three quarters of the 1.3 million lawyers in the United States. What does this mean for the companies, their customers, and the legal research landscape more broadly?
To discuss the merger and its implications, host Bob Ambrogi welcomes the three top executives of the two companies:
- Dr. Satish Sheth, president and CEO of Casemaker, and also a full-time emergency pediatrician for Kaiser Permenante in California.
- Ed Walters, cofounder and CEO of Fastcase.
- Phil Rosenthal, cofounder and president of Fastcase.
Thank You To Our Sponsors
This episode of LawNext is generously made possible by our sponsors. We appreciate their support and hope you will check them out.
- ASG LegalTech, home to the practice management platforms PracticePanther, Bill4Time, and MerusCase, and e-payments platform Headnote.
- XIRA.com, where clients find, book and meet with attorneys; and where attorneys get free, fully integrated practice management software.
- Everlaw, the cloud-based ediscovery platform for law firms, corporations, and government agencies.
- Law Insider, producer of the show Contract Teardown, where they analyze the contracts that others are talking about.
A reminder that we are on Patreon. Subscribe to our page to be able to access show transcripts, or to submit a question for our guests.